Loading

Since 1888 the Village Hall has served as the Delano City Government building, Fire Station, Police Station with a jail, plus Theater, Events Hall and the Public Library.

A two story out-house was attached to the back of Village Hall, women above and men below.

  • 1887: The idea of building a Village Hall in Delano began to grow in the minds of the Village Council and the citizens of the town. Mr. Breed donated two lots for the site. A special election decides to spend $3,000 for a Village Hall. Brick for the building was purchased from Ziebarth's brick factory located along the Crow River in Franklin Township.
  • 1888: The 4th of July celebration that year was said to have been the most successful ever undertaken. "The large upstairs hall was comfortably filled with 200 couples. The beautiful maple floor was spacious and accommodating." On September 19th the celebration of the completion of Village Hall included a grand parade, dance and supper under the auspices of the Delano Fire Department.
  • 1890: A stage with dressing rooms on each side was built for the Delano Dramatic Company and other traveling theatrical performances.
  • 1896: A tower was built for the fire bell. This fire bell is now displayed in front of the present fire hall.
  • 1977: The Fire Department moved to a new building. The Delano Public Library now shared Village Hall with City Offices.
  • 1983: City Offices moved out of Village Hall to their own building.
  • 2004: Village Hall is now used for the Delano Franklin Township Area Heritage Center
Two Story Outhouse in the background of this photo
Village Hall is the Delano Franklin Township Heritage Center Today